2.22.2013

Mindful of Media

Around 730 am Thursday morning, I awoke like a child on Christmas to check my email about pending class cancellations and the possibility of the coveted Snow Day. Out of pure habit, I also found myself scrolling Facebook as well, where I stumbled upon this though-provoking post by a friend:

"Here’s a thought. What if on your snow day you decided to take a break not only from school but also from social media, entertainment and technology? What if you made a conscious decision to shut down your phone/computer, unplug the Television or even hide the Xbox controller? What would happen? Honestly I can't remember the last time I shut my phone off. Let alone, didn't view Facebook. Think about it. Really. Think."

I decided there was no way I would go without TV, computer, or my phone (ummm let's be real...), but I decided to take the Social Media Challenge. Still not sure if it was a sudden spark of motivation or being half asleep, but I proceeded to delete my Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram apps and vowed not to return for 24 hours. 


I eventually got a'movin a few hours later and went to do my first subconscious "check" on my phone. Just as I remembered my promise, some small unexpected thoughts occurred.

"I wonder how much snow ______ is getting."
"How was I going to know how all of my friends were spending their snow day?"
"How was I going to see all the awesome, antique tinted pictures of people playing outside?"
"How much FUN is everyone else having?"
"I wish I was _____ to hang out with ______."

Really?!?

But then I stopped myself. Why was I so concerned about what everyone else (particularly people who I'm vaguely even acquaintances with) is doing today? I can't go anywhere (thanks a lot, Q) so why make myself feel like I'm "missing out" when I could create my own memorable, relaxing snow day HERE that I truly enjoyed?
And that's what I did. 

Throughout the day, I was able to...

Read a novel, watch a classic chick flick, make all three meals, get a jump on some homework, surf Pinterest, tidy up my room, and even do a couple rounds of squats, push-ups, sit-ups for my "workout." Since I couldn't check up on those near and dear to me by scrolling through a news feed, I retaliated to others methods. I exchanged some texts with friends I hadn't communicated with in a while to catch up on their lives, and even (gasp!) CALLED and had wonderful, encouraging conversations with a few others. 

He'll call, right?


The best part of the day, however, was spending it with my roommate. With our crazy school schedules we don't get to see much of each other during the week, let alone hang out and catch up. Yesterday was a great opportunity for us to share a lot of laughs, watch the snow accumulate, have great discussions, and help each other from getting cabin fever :) I'm very thankful for times like these spent together, because there won't be many more!


Snowly crap! 


By bedtime, I was quite content with how I'd spent the last 16 hours. Reflecting on my decision, I also came to the realization that I really didn't miss social media that much, and I don't think it really missed me too much either. Sure, I had plenty of random tweet-worthy thoughts roll through my mind throughout the day that may have gotten a few likes, favorites, retweets...but I wasn't missing anything. Frankly, the world survived just fine without knowing my outfit changes consisted of pajamas --> over sized sweats --> pajamas or that our upstairs neighbor came down to complain of us being too loud. (Oops.) 

Don't get me wrong: I ADORE these inventions. They are great for keeping in touch with friends and allowing you to meet and get to know people that you wouldn't be able to otherwise. However, we have to remember that we are each living our own lives, and the grass is NOT always greener on someone else's Instagram. (Well, unless they use the Lo-Fi filter...)

 My daily devotion for February 21st out of "Jesus Calling" was perfect (as always), stating: 
"Trust and thankfulness will get you through this day. Trust protects you from worrying and obsessing. Thankfulness keeps you from criticizing and complaining: those "sister sins" that so easily entangle you." 

God made YOU a unique and wonderful creation, and you're exactly where He wants you to be in your life! So enjoy the moment staying constantly in conversation with HIM, as He'll always lead to your next step. I challenge you to go without social media for a day, a week, or maybe even a month and Build some Briges of your own. You never know what discoveries you'll make about yourself, your relationships, or maybe even see what you've been missing out on. At the end of it all, I'm not gonna ban myself from posting, tweeting or scrolling news feeds, but I'm definitely going to make it a goal to keep it to a minimum. A big thanks to my Facebook friend for your wonderfully inspiring post! If you decide to join me on the challenge, feel free to share how it went as I'd love to hear. 

 I hope all my fellow Midwesterners had a cozy day to spend inside with friends and family, and everyone else across the country is enjoying their warm weather, sunshine, and clear streets :)

Until warm weather returns,
Brigette 

1 comment:

  1. Loved this, Brig! I've had a hard time giving up social media for lent. I even found myself thinking that if I don't share a picture or post something that I'm doing it's not actually happening or it's not significant...and that's SO silly! I think being away from social media allows us to be a little more in the moment. I still enjoy it, but it's good to find a healthy balance. Glad you had a good snow day!
    Jord

    ReplyDelete