11.24.2012

So, what are you doing these days?

Well hellooooooo there!
I know, I know. It's been a while. I could blame my absence on several different factors, but I'll save my breath and cut to the chase. If you're ready to see what kind of schenanigans I've been into...
scroll on.

Just your typical Husker camp :)
Thompson Square concert in Louisville.
 Go Cards!
Willy and I taking a break from camps to
enjoy an gorgeous summer night.
After finishing my career as a volleyball player last December and graduating this spring, I've had to divert from my Lincoln routine that's come to be so familiar the last four years. This summer was nomadic, as I was fortunate enough to coach a number of volleyball camps across the state with my pal Jordan Wilberger. About half of the summer was spent at the Coliseum working Husker camps, but the other half was visiting great high schools in Nebraska City, Blue Hill, Ord, Ogallala, Alliance, and Scottsbluff. I also was lucky to take some mini vacations: quick trips home with my family, a week down in Louisville with Kaitlynn, and time down south in Dallas. Sadly, all fun (and sun!) must come to an end, so at the beginning of August, I packed up Rosie and headed east down I-80 to my NEW home in Omaha, Nebraska.
That was only the first load...

Since I stepped foot into my new apartment, it's been quite the transition stage. They say change is hard, but it really hits when you're not doing the same routine that you've been used to for the past four years. Regardless, it's allowed me to grow so much as an individual, and really find out what I'm made out of. Most importantly, my relationship with the Lord has grown tenfold, as He has been and always will be the constant in my life that I can depend on. Also, I am reminded that my life is a part of HIS plan and HIS timing, not my own. After almost 4 months of calling it "Homaha", I think I'm finally getting the hang of it. To give you a little taste of life in the Big O, here's a couple FAQ's...


"So, what exactly are you studying down there?"
Um, my life?
Officially official. 
The reason I decided to make this lovely move was to attend school at the University of Nebraska Medical Center as a Radiography student. Basically, I'm learning to take x-rays. It's a 21-month program that started in August and will finish up in May of 2014. There's 5 "semesters" (fall, spring, summer, fall, spring) that we complete until we are allowed to take Boards apply for jobs. Currently, we're in the clinic "working" from 8-4 on Monday and Wednesdays, and then have classes on Tuesdays, Thursday, and every other Friday. I've loved being in the hospital, getting hands on, and working with real patients. Our little class of twelve has become quite a tight group, and it's been awesome to get to know friends from all around the state and different backgrounds. It's crazy the first semester is almost complete...only a couple more weeks to go!

Who WOULDN'T want an x-ray from us?
Mentors and mentees








"So, how's life without volleyball?"
2011 B1G Champs! 
Alumni Night with my favorite Co-Captain :)

Maddie and I at Century Link Center
I don't think I could honestly answer this question, because I feel like my life has NEVER been without the sport, nor will it probably ever be. Not being a Husker this fall has certainly been different, and I miss it dearly at times. However, I couldn't have asked for a better career as a player and I'm happy to close that chapter in my life and transition more into the coach role.
From coaching club this spring and camps/lessons this summer, I've fell more in love with the game than ever. I've been able to get in the gym this fall by coaching personal lessons in Omaha and Friday night Academy sessions for VCNebraska in Lincoln. I'm also joining the 16's club world once again in January, but this year for G1 Club in Gretna and am SO excited to work with my new team!
 However, I still get my little playing fix when our class's intramural volleyball team takes on other UNMC programs on Thursday nights as Team Rad. And of course, I'm always within a TV, computer, radio, or tweet's length away from the Huskers' matches this year, and even got see my girls in action for a couple matches! So no, I'm not jet-setting across the country each weekend, and sometimes I really don't know what to do with myself at 4:30 in the afternoons...but you won't EVER find me far from a gym, net, and volleyballs.

"So, what else do you do with your time?"
It's incredible how much time being a student-athlete takes (especially in season), and what's even MORE incredible is how little you notice how busy you are until...you're not. This was my biggest struggle this fall, not knowing what to do with myself and plain old boredom. Once a routine with school and volleyball started it was better, but again, this change allowed me to do things I haven't been able to do before and it's been awesome. Below are some thing I've become quite fond of in my new life as a "norm"...

Steadfast
In Lincoln, I attended a bible study and church every week. Unfortunately, I was so busy that I was only able to pop in, worship, hear a lesson, and pop out. My main goal coming to Omaha was to find a church I could really get involved with and connect with other believers. My prayers were answered, as I've found a home at Steadfast Bible. It's a smaller church where familiar faces are seen every Sunday, and I'm in a LifeGroup with six other lovely ladies that meets once a week. I spent a relaxing weekend at the Women's Retreat in October and have been able to not only met new pals, but also reconnected with old ones. If you're in Omaha and wanna check it out some Sunday, just let me know! 

RUN
I'm not sure if it's just the endorphins talking, but I've definitely become hooked on running. Along the amazing physical benefits, it's a mental lifesaver. It's been the perfect way for me to clear my mind or just GET MOVING after a long session of sitting and studying. Kelly and I ran a 15K in the middle of October in Lincoln, and that was the last of my 2012 races. I can't wait to start planning ones for 2013, but as for the colder weather coming (nooooo!) my outdoor jogs on the bike trail will be cut down to a minimum. But have no fear, I'm looking forward to indoor activities; such as lifting, boot camps, and yoga to build up some strength for another season. 




Um...hobbies?
Friend, neighbor, classmate...
now roomie!
Tailgating with my favorite dietitian!
This fall, I've been able to do some other little things that I love doing, but never quite "had time." These included getting hooked on TV series, reading (yes, for fun), cooking, journaling, and traveling. Having free weekends to spend time with friends in Lincoln or Grand Island has been wonderful, especially to catch my
brothers' tennis and basketball action. When I need a "home" environment, a quick trip to visit my cousins across town has been a lifesaver. A friendly face is also found in my roommate, Megan, who I've known since 5th grade and is my family's neighbor in Grand Island. Whether Facebook creeping on hometown homies or just procrastinating our studies together (she's a Pharmacy student at UNMC), we always manage to have a good time together :)

Miss Nettie Jean Rhodes

Tennis studs and their biggest fans
Love cousin time








...aaaaand that's the last four months of my life in a four minute synopsis. This transition time in my life certainly is a day by day process, but I've had SO many opportunities to Build Briges with countless people. I know this will continue to grow in the coming weeks, months, and years as I put down roots and establish myself as a young professional. I hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving with family and friends and are getting ready for another holiday season!

Until next time,
Brig

This time in my life has been a great learning tool to stay in the moment with the Lord and trust His timing and purpose. It's also taught me to appreciate each day I wake, and not be afraid to spend time simply lovin' life.

Psalm 118:24
"This is the day that the Lord has made. We will rejoice and be glad in it." 

1 comment:

  1. Love love love this!!! I had been wondering what has been going on with your life ;) I can't wait to see your beautiful face in a few weeks!!!

    ReplyDelete